Held each year in November, The Breeders’ Cup World Championships® brings excitement and thrill to horse racing. Rotating venues each year, the race will be held for the first time at the well-known Del Mar Thoroughbred Club. Located in Del Mar, California this racetrack provides the perfect backdrop for the weekend’s racing. With rich history from thoroughbreds to crowing victors in a flower garland, here are some facts that will give you a better insight on what The Breeders’ Cup is all about.
- The first running of The Breeders’ Cup World Championships® took place in 1984 and was a single-day event. The race wasn’t expanded into a two-day event until 2007.
- All racetracks to hold The Breeders’ Cup® have been within the United States, expect in 1996, when it was hosted by Canada at the Woodbine Racetrack.
- The total purses to claim for the 2016 running equaled $28 million, with $6 million going to the winner of The Breeders’ Cup® Classic.
- Tiznow is the only horse to win The Breeders’ Cup® Classic at least twice (2000, 2001).
- The United States has produced the most Breeders’ Cup® winners, followed by Ireland and Great Britain.
- Santa Anita Park has hosted The Breeders’ Cup World Championships® the most times at 9, but Churchill Downs® will tie that record by hosting the event in 2018.
- The Jockey with the most Breeders’ Cup® wins is Mike Smith with 25, while the Trainer with the most wins is D. Wayne Lukas with 20.
- Only 14 starters are allowed for each race within The Breeders’ Cup World Championships®, expect the Dirt Mile which is narrowed down to 12 starters.
- America Pharoah was the first Triple Crown™ victor since the inception or the Breeders’ Cup® and thus claimed the first Grand Slam Victory. (Triple Crown™ and Breeders’ Cup® Classic)
- Del Mar Race Track is hosting its first Breeders’ Cup® this year!
Attend The 2017 Breeders’ Cup®
Will you be there to watch as skilled thoroughbreds round the corner to claim victory at Del Mar’s finish line? Join QuintEvents, the Official Ticket Package Provider for Breeders’ Cup Limited, at the 2017 Breeders’ Cup World Championships®. With a unique, VIP option, Trackside Chalet, indulge in gourmet food paired with unrestricted views of the track. What are you waiting for? See you in November!